Nimby Professional Bird and Bat Feces Clean-up and Removal
Due to the high nutrient content of bird and bat excrement it remains a highly effective growth medium for bacteria and other organisms creating extreme health risks for humans. People can easily become infected upon inhaling dust from dried feces containing urine, feces or the respiratory secretions of infected birds. Three primary disease organisms can be found in bird droppings: Psittacosis, Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcosis.
Infected signs and symptoms will appear in humans in 4-14 days. These symptoms include:
- Weakness or fatigue
- Muscle and chest pain
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea, vomiting
The accumulation of bat and bird feces on structures (statues includes), buildings and machinery can lead to:
- An environment favorable to the development of disease organisms harmful to humans and domestic animals
- Impede human activities
- An objectionable odour and appearance
- It should be assumed that a health hazard is present whenever bird and bat droppings are disturbed.
Cleaning and Decontamination of Bat and Bird Excrement:
It is essential that cleaning of Bat and/or Bird Excrement is done by a professional (Nimby Pest Management). The entire area needs to be safely decontaminated so as to minimize spore dispersal. During cleaning Nimby Pest Management will:
- Utilize Breathing Protection - using a Canadian Centre for Health and Safety (CCOHS) approved face protection.
- Utilize Protective Clothing - including safety goggles, rubber gloves and hat to protect skin from contamination
Nimby Decontamination Guidelines
- Prevention of the above mentioned diseases relies on avoiding exposure to dust in a contaminated environment. Safe cleanup is based on protection from spore inhalation and minimization of spore dispersal.
- Prior to disturbing accumulated droppings consult with the Industrial Hygienist at Environmental Health & Safety, for advice on personal safety measures. Please follow the instructions below concerning proper breathing protection and protective clothing:
Breathing Protection - Nimby Professionals will utilize CCOHS-approved face protection.
Protective Clothing - Nimby Professionals will wear appropriate protective clothing.
3 . Bird droppings are most dangerous when they are dry and subject to becoming airborne as a fine dust, particularly when disturbed by sweeping
or scraping. Before a clean up, it is advisable to spray the soiled area with water to reduce dust. When applying water, follow the following recommendations:
• Use a weak mist spray to wet droppings to make it easier to remove
• Some jobs require the use of high pressure or concentrated steam since it may scatter the waste
• Hosing down sidewalks and pavements is acceptable
4.Decontaminate with 10% Bleach after the droppings have been removed.
For more information on Industrial Cleaning please Call us today at: 1-888-681-6266 or Email: